The Special Forces Command (SFC) has denied reports that soldiers attached to the elite unit that guards President Museveni fired gunshots after the presidential car convoy was temporarily blocked by a stranger in Mukono District.
By Edison HYPERLINK “http://chimpreports.com/index.php/author/demo/”Akugizibwe 26/01/2014 13:05:00
SFC says Museveni’s car was not involved in any accident
SFC Spokesperson, Major Chris Magezi, told Chimpreports on Sunday that “there was no incident whatsoever.”
He added: Nothing happened. Some people are trying to divert attention from the 28th NRM anniversary celebrations taking place in Mayuge District.”
However, Mukono Municipality MP, Betty Nambooze said “gunfire has rocked Mukono town this morning as security battled some people after the Presidential Convoy was blocked by a man who madly drove a tractor into the road when he saw the convoy approaching.”
Nambooze said the sudden appearance of a tractor on the road caused panic among the Presidential guard.
“The group that was manning the road construction tractor took off, running into the swamp neighbouring my home,” she added.
Nambooze said one person has so far been arrested “but interestingly the number plate on the machine (tractor) was fake as a genuine one was concealed under the fake one. Motive still unknown according to DPC Mukono.”
In October last year, Special Forces rushed to Lugazi along Jinja highway to rescue President Museveni and his aides after a chopper they were aboard got a mechanical fault.
Museveni was on his way to Iganga for the burial of his former adviser, Chango Macho when a bird hit the chopper in Mukono airspace.
The President’s Special Communications Assistant, Sarah Kagingo, said President Museveni travelled to Mayuge by helicopter.